Roundhouse Community Centre

Roundhouse Community Centre

Vancouver, BC

Roundhouse Community Centre

Vancouver, BC

The Roundhouse Community Centre was originally a repair shop for the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1884, and through the last century has seen many temporary uses.

 

The building’s renovation took place as part of the redevelopment of Vancouver’s Expo Lands in 1991. VIA Architecture designed and directed the installation and siting of four new components – the Centre, the gymnasium, the entry court, and the pavilion for Engine 374. Each added piece helped to restore the Roundhouse as the crossroads at the centre of a community.

 

Features:

  • Renovation and Additions to Historic Building
  • Gymnasium
  • Pavilion
  • Winner of the 1997 Gold Nugget Grand Award for Best Rehabilitated Commercial Project
  • Winner of the 2001 Lieutenant Governor’s Award