Main Street-Science World SkyTrain Station Upgrades
Main Street Station had long been an anomaly within the system of design thinking employed for the Expo Line. Opened in 1986 adjacent to a decommissioned concrete plant at the Expo Centre entrance to the Expo 86 World’s Fair, its urban context had substantially changed by the time of planning for the 2010 Olympics. With an office tower inserted above and residential development abutting, its functional design had to be addressed to accommodate the pedestrian, bus, vehicular and goods movements around one of the city’s busiest intersections.
Main Street SkyTrain Station is a multiple-award-winning project, including:
- 2016 Vancouver Regional Construction Awards, Gold Winner, $15 to $45 Million category
- 2016 Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, Deputy Ministers Consulting Engineers Award
- 2016 Gold Winner (General Trade Category) Vancouver Regional Construction Association’s Awards of Excellence
- Interior Lighting Design Award of Merit
- Lighting Redesign BC Hydro Powersmart Award.